Senior artistic director of JCPenney salons, Nick Stenson gives you 5 tips for keeping your hair shiny and healthy this winter.
The holidays are over, but winter is still going strong. You may have noticed your hair’s been looking a little rough lately—and it’s no wonder with such harsh weather conditions and repeated exposure to heat styling appliances. But don’t despair! There are tons of tips and products to fight wintertime frizz and help restore your hair to the silky, shiny mane it was at summer’s end.
- Avoid super-hot showers. Not only does scalding water dry out your skin in cold winter months, it also dries out your hair, which leads to split ends. If you can, avoid washing your hair on a daily basis. Instead, opt for dry shampoo or a cute ponytail. When you do wash, try to keep the temperature of the water at a lukewarm level.
- Condition, condition, condition! Not only is a daily conditioner important for most hair types, it’s an absolute necessity for dry hair. Conditioner helps close the cuticle to lock in your hair’s natural moisture. Plus, it adds mega shine and bounce. If your hair’s extra dry, go one step further and use a deep, reparative hair mask or even a daily leave-in conditioner. It’s not uncommon to need a little more moisture in the winter months.
- Try to limit usage of heated styling tools, including hair dryers, curling irons and flat irons. If you can, let your hair air-dry once in a while with a little product in it. On days when you simply cannot live without your hair dryer or flat iron, start with of heat protectant spray to prevent your hair from future damage.
- The outcome of your hairstyle is oftentimes reliant on the products you add before styling. Choosing hair products with the best consistency for your hair type is very important. A smoothing serum can help keep frizz and static at bay, but if your hair is baby-fine, steer clear of oils or heavy serums that can weigh your hair down and make it look greasy.
- Many women prefer to darken their color in winter months, but don’t discount the power of a few highlights. The lightened strands can add amazing volume and texture to your hair, giving it just the right amount of sassy bounce.
With the right products and practices in place, you can keep your hair looking gorgeous all year long—winter included. Just remember these tips and add moisture-infused products to your styling repertoire. Before you know it, the sun will make its way back out, and springtime will be here once again.
Nick Stenson serves as director, trainer and head adviser for 14,000 JCP salon stylists and managers across the country in over 800 salons. Along with his team, Nick creates two trend collections annually, which include over 200 cuts, colors and styles. His goal is to provide clients with a variety of hairstyles to choose from, so they are guaranteed to look their very best every single day.